The mission of the Westside Early Childhood and Before & After School Programs is to provide a safe, engaging educational environment for children ages 18 months through sixth grade. The program offers developmentally appropriate opportunities for children to grow and develop socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically with the support and guidance of competent and compassionate adults.
Westside Community Schools recognizes that young children learn best in an environment that provides opportunities for development and growth of the whole child: physically, emotionally, socially and intellectually. To nurture this development requires a philosophy that allows children time and opportunity to:
• stimulate curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
• engage in purposeful and playful work.
• develop self-motivation, self-discipline and self-direction toward purposeful goals.
• experience growth pertaining to decision-making, problem solving and creative thinking.
• express themselves through language, drawing, writing, movement and the use of materials and resources.
• participate in guided and informal learning experiences.
The Westside Early Childhood Programs incorporate the Creative Curriculum System Birth-age 5. Developmentally appropriate practice requires teachers to teach in ways that match the way children develop and learn so as to promote their optimal development and learning. Our teachers make decisions about the education of children on the basis of three types of information:
• child development and how children learn.
• the individual strengths, needs and interests of each child.
• each child’s family and community cultures.
The Creative Curriculum is a research-based system that combines curriculum, assessment, professional development, and family connection resources. The curriculum is based on five fundamental principles. These principles are:
• Positive interactions and relationships with adults provide a critical foundation for successful learning.
• Social-emotional competence is a significant factor in school success.
• Constructive, purposeful play supports essential learning.
• The physical environment affects the type and quality of learning interactions.
• Teacher-family partnerships promote development and learning.
The Creative Curriculum is research-based on 38 objectives for development and learning. The curriculum helps guide teachers to determine the developmental progress of each child and plan appropriate learning experiences. The 38 objectives fall under the categories of:
• Science and Technology
• Social Studies
• The Arts
This unique program is committed to providing developmentally appropriate opportunities for children to learn and grow in a safe, stimulating, nurturing environment, using research-based practices and curriculum.
• Hours of operations: 9:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday.
• Follows the Westside Community Schools calendar.
• Licensed by the State of Nebraska’s, Department of Health and Human Services.
• Children must be 4-years-old by July 31 and attending Kindergarten the following year.
• Our programs connect The Nebraska Early Learning Guidelines and Creative Curriculum to appropriate educational resources.
2016-2017 School Year Rates and Fees
$50 enrollment fee
$182.50 per week
Paddock Early Childhood Center 402-390-2297
Westbrook Early Childhood Center 402-390-8205
Julie Oelke, M.Ed
WECC Program Director